Where do Pez Come From?
I was browsing through all the candy that Sweet City Candy has to offer and began to wonder about one in particular – Pez! Where do they come from and when were they invented? So I set out to find the answer, and here you have it, people – the history of Pez!
- Pez was invented in 1927 in Vienna, Austria as a breath mint. Pez is actually an abbreviation of the German word “Pfefferminz” (peppermint)
- In 1948 the first Pez dispenser was invented. It resembled a cigarette lighter and was meant to encourage people to quit smoking.
- In the early 1950′s, to grow its American market, Pez created fruity flavors and character shaped dispensers
- In the early 1960s, Mickey Mouse and other Disney characters were introduced as Pez dispensers. You can still purchase those today from our website here.
- Feet were added to the dispensers in 1987 to make them more stable when standing up, say on someone’s lap during a piano concert causing her to laugh so hard it disrupts the recital (what is iconic TV show is this a reference to? Find out here.)
- June 15 1991 the first Pez Collectors Convention was held in Mentor, Ohio.
- In 1993 Pez was featured on the cover of Forbes Magazine
- In the late 1990s, Pez released Star Wars themed Pez dispensers, now the most popular dispensers in Pez’s history
- In 2002 Pez Sourz dispensers were introduced and had new sour flavors including pineapple, blue raspberry, watermelon and green apple.
- 2007 marked Pez’ 80th anniversary and released a commemorative Mickey Mouse dispenser in a collectable tin
- 2008 Pez launched a chocolate flavor
- 2011 Pez expands its flavors again and added strawberry-vanilla and raspberry lemon