Where Do Mike and Ike’s Come From?
Have you ever wondered who the famous Mike and Ike were from those yummy candies? I have, but the answer is hard to come by.
Created by the Just Born company in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, Mike and Ike’s first made their appearance in 1940. The Just Born website does not give a definitive answer about where the candy name came from – only theories.
- A result of a company-wide contest
- After a 1937 song titled “Mike and Ike” (The Twins)
- After a Vaudeville act, “Mike and Ike, We’re Just Alike”
Here are some other facts about Mike and Ike’s:
- Just Born produces enough pieces of MIKE AND IKE® Brand Candies each year that if you lined up each piece end-to-end, they would reach around the earth 2.5 times!
- It takes three to four days to create a box of MIKE AND IKE® Brand Candies.
- Sister products also introduced in the 1940’s were ROOT-T-TOOT®, COOL KIDS®, Jack and Jill®, STRAWBANNA®, LEM AND MEL®, and CHERRI AND BUBB®. In the 1990′s the company incorporated all of these products into the MIKE AND IKE® Brand.
- Each chewy candy has only 7 calories and 0 grams of fat.
- MIKE AND IKE® Brand Candies are Kosher and gluten free.
If you’re craving those fruity gummy candies, you can buy them from our website. We carry the following flavors: