Top 12 Favorite Sour Candies

[NOTE: Due to popular demand this list has been updated to include 12 all time favorite sour candies. See if your's is on the list!]

I’ve been having a craving for sour candy these days.  Who else is with me? In the spirit of all things sour, here is my list of top 12 favorite sour candies.  Let us know what you think and post your favorite sour candy in the comments section!

Honorable Mention: Cry Baby Sour Gumballs – My mouth puckers thinking about these, but they are not on the official list because they’re a “gum” and not a candy.

12. Zours! If Mike and Ike’s were sour. Sums it up pretty well. An excellent sour candy for those who like the sour flavor but don’t want their eyes to water or their tastebuds to burn.

Zours

11. Sour Balls! Old fashioned sour balls have been around for ages, and there’s a reason for that – they’re darn good!  Sour balls have a more mild sour flavor than #8 on our list, which means you can eat more of them before your mouth starts to lose it’s sense of taste.

10. Warheads! These tear-jerking candies make me think of middle school and how all the kids would dare each other to eat them without taking them out our mouths for a break.  Now that’s a sour candy.

warheads

9.  Sour Power Belts! Not to be confused with Sour Power Straws (#4), these belts are flat and wide strips of sour candy and come in just about any flavor – my favorite is Watermelon.

8. Sour Rip Rolls! 40-inches of sour candy tape goodness. These come in Blue Raspberry, Sour Apple, Watermelon and Strawberry. A must-try for every hard-core sour candy fan.

7. Cry Baby Tears! Not for the faint of heart (just look at the comments). These will reduce you to tears, if that’s your thing. You’re a daredevil if you eat more than one at a time.

6. Shockers / Shock Tarts! What I like best about Shockers (formerly Shock Tarts) is that you can easily get through an entire roll and still have all your taste buds in tact.  Plus, unlike gummy candy, Shockers don’t glob together in your stomach and make you feel sick if you eat too many.

***** BREAKING NEWS *****

Christmas Candy is flying off the shelves. Have you ordered yours yet?

Deck the Halls sml

Get stocking stuffers, gift boxes, candy canes and more!

Buy today at www.SweetCityCandy.com!

***** NOW BACK TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED POST *****

5. Sour Power Straws! There’s not much of a difference in flavor from a Power Straw to a Power Belt; however, I find it just a lot more fun and enjoyable eating the straws.

4. Toxic Waste! This candy is so, so, SO SOUR. If you’re into like painfully sour candy, or maybe you want to play a prank on a friend and see them cry, this is the one for you.

Toxic Waste

3. Sour Skittles! Skittles does a good job keeping the great Skittles flavor while adding an even coating of soury-goodness to the candy shell.  Well done.

2. Lemon Heads! This old-fashioned candy has withstood the test of time as one of the all-time greatest sour candies.  Whether you get the Movie Theater box, or the Individually wrapped jumbo balls, this is always an excellent choice.

1. Sour Patch Kids! This candy never disappoints when I’m in a sour candy mood.  These are so yummy and easy to eat I don’t even mind it that my mouth is raw and my taste buds have burned off from all the sour acid by the time I’m done with my box.  Now that’s a good candy!

Sour Patch Kids

Are you wondering where to buy your favorite sour candy? All of the items on this list (plus TONS more) are available at our online store. If you see your favorite candy in the list, click the link to get to the purchasing page, otherwise follow this link to our homepage and search for your favorite candy!

15 Comments Added

Join Discussion
  1. Melanie November 22, 2011 | Reply
    Im a sour candy nut, theres a cpl im going to try here..but only 2 of My top 3 are in your list!...sour skittles, sour patch kids...they're there but one of trmhe best sour candies EVER isn't mentioned!!! Mike & Ike's tangy twisters! Omg I can eat these all day every day they're so sour-fruitilicious. The saddest thing ever is that they ( mike n ikes) stopped making this version ..and nothing is similar. BUT, u can buy them on Amazon still, yay! I was just shocked they weren't on the top 5..they're prolly #2 to me! ( sour skittles, tangy twisters then sour patch) :)
  2. Evan January 25, 2012 | Reply
    These are all good, but in my opinion Cry Baby Tears leave them all in the dust. They are like SweeTarts but without any of the sweet. And unlike nearly all the candies on this list, they are sour all the way through, not just on the outside layer. Try 'em! In fact bite down on two of 'em at a time. I dare ya! :-) -- Evan
    • megan January 16, 2013 | Reply
      my favorite candy in the world! totally agree with you! and yesss, it REALLY is sour. idk why people keep on talking about sour patch kids. that's not even on the ranking for me! and sweetarts are my #2
  3. Mr. Luke February 9, 2012 | Reply
    Hi! There is a difference between sour belts and straws. The straws are gummier and stickier. The belts are drier and have, in my opinion, a higher quality sour powder. The straws have a strange taste if I eat too many, and I can eat about a pound of the belts before I needed to stop. Of course, I refer to the belts you find in a candy store, not the inferior Airheads version. The BEST sour candy EVER is Tart'N'Tinys! They have been discontinued, and I couldn't find them anywhere. But last year, I found a large display case in a California with 14 pounds of them and got the owner to take it apart and sell it to me for around $170. I took it back to Alaska and vacuum sealed it. Anyway, I have the last stash in the world and it's sad. I agree about Cry Baby Tears! Those are the closest thing to Tart'N'Tinys, but they are more sour, enough to keep me from imbibing frequently. Oh man you guys are making me hungry lol. I went over here because I'm taking a trip to WA this week and I'm going to a REAL candy store, not the lame ones we have in AK. Mmmm delicious. I used to buy Cry Baby gumballs by the case, but it hurt my teeth so I stopped. I would suck off the sour part, chew it slightly, and spit it out. I don't like gum very much.
  4. Locke March 6, 2012 | Reply
    Charms Way 2 Sour lollipops are the most amazing sour candy pops I have ever had. They seem so hard to find, almost impossible even online. I fear they've been discontinued. :<
  5. Bill Young January 18, 2013 | Reply
    An outstanding sour candy is bon bons. They're made by eiffel candy company and you can find them online. Believe me, you won't regret your purchase. Get the red ones!!
  6. Charlie johnson February 3, 2013 | Reply
    The most sour sweet in the world is the Black Death my friend had 2 at a time at it burnt of his taist buds
  7. lucy May 18, 2013 | Reply
    Okay so mine isnt on the list but they are better than all of these on here!!!! this one is kind of hard to find but...............sour gummy lifesavers! They are DELICIOUS. My second is Haribo Sour Speggeti. They are great too!
  8. Tom June 13, 2013 | Reply
    None of these are sour, they taste like regular candy
  9. emily December 23, 2013 | Reply
    i love any kind of sour candy ! i am a sour candy maniac i just love eating them they don't even taste sour at all my favorite is extreme war heads
  10. Matt Pens January 14, 2014 | Reply
    Got to find room on this for Mike & Ike ZOURS...they are great. Also a recent find Hairbo Sour Smurfs. http://www.justborn.com/mike-and-ike/product-detail/everyday/zours http://www.germanshop24.com/products/Candy-Chocolate/Fruit-Gums/Haribo-The-Smurfs-Sour.html
  11. Dominic February 3, 2014 | Reply
    Good list but its missing sour starburst
  12. nate February 5, 2014 | Reply
    None of these are sour, you should try toxic waste everyone I know who has had one has teared up
  13. Pingback: Candy A to Z: Z is for Zours! | Bulk Candy and Chocolate for Corporate Events and Parties March 28, 2014

[...] you’re looking for some other sour candy, check out our Sour Candy list. To this day, it remains one of our most popular blog posts [...]

14. damad poteri July 4, 2014 | Reply
    i really love the toxic waste type of candies. they are much more sour than warheads and come in all sorts of different varietis